Consolidated PBY "Catalina" | PBY-5A | 3401

Consolidated PBY "Catalina" | PBY-5A | 3401

Early 1950s.

original size link JPEG 644 x 204, 24.1 KB
Source
'The Israeli Air Force, Part One: 1948-1967', Camouflage and Markings No.3, by Ray Ball
Author
Peter Scott
Author
M.David Howley

added 04 Jun 21:18

Three Catalinas were acquired for the IDF/AF and served from 1951 to 1956 in the maritime patrol role. The Catalinas were painted Dark Blue overall and given the serial numbers 3401-3403. Based mainly at Hatzor, with some operations from Haifa. Withdrawn in 1956. Originally delivered unarmed, with non-standard domed nose-turrets, but later equipped with machine guns in the waist blisters. One aircraft sold to the USA in the mid 1950s.


Aircraft model

PBY-5A

Operator

Icon_32_flag_of_israel.svg State of Israel | Military > Heyl Ha'Avir (Israel Defense Forces/Air Force IDF/AF) > 69 Tayeset "Patishim" (69th Squadron "The Hammers")

Registration number

3401

Aircraft

Consolidated PBY "Catalina" | PBY-5A | 3401

Consolidated PBY "Catalina" | PBY-5A | 3401

Haifa, circa 1954.

Consolidated PBY "Catalina" | PBY-5A | 3401

Early 1950s.